Saturday 5 November 2011

Salar de Uyuni to La Paz


It did not take long for reality to hit us after stepping out of our little jeep cocoon and leaving our adopted travelling family. Uyuni was not a nice town and we didnt want to spend a night there so we bought a ticket for a night bus to la Paz and hung around 8 hours waiting for it. We checked into a hostel just to use the beds and showers even though we would not be staying. It was only £3 each but it stank and so we did not dare use the showers. We watched a film called Lorenzo's oil and then went out for a pizza and bought a blanket to keep us warm before boarding our bus. Well, I couldnt have invented a more uncomfortable journey if I had wanted to. Firstly it was boiling hot, to the point where I had to sit with my bag on my knee in case my laptop melted. Secondly, the person in front put their chair back to its maximum incline leaving my legs trapped and numb. I felt like I was getting DVT. The roads themselves were just dirt and gravel and the bus was so shabby that you could feel every bump. To top this off I had a nosebleed because of the altitude (in the dark because all the lights on the bus were switched off the moment we set off) and I also needed the toilet because I had drunk a litre of coke with my pizza. The bus was one of the rare few in Bolivia to have a toilet but when I went to inspect it I decided I would have no option but to wait till La Paz. All in all it was a hellish journey and I was uncomfortable for the whole 11 hours. We are now in La Paz and I am shocked at how different it is to the cities in Argentina. It is without a doubt the poorest place I have ever been. We are very weary about what food we can eat so I think it is going to just be a diet of fast food between now and the Amazon rainforest tour.

p.s no McDonald's here - the locals can't afford it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment