Friday 8 June 2012

Thailand to Laos (Non stop Lee Mead for 22 hours)


The White Temple in Chiangrai

We first took a minibus out of Chiangmai to Chiangrai and this took about 4 hours, we stopped in Chiangrai briefly to take pictures of a white temple, and at some point, whilst doing this, I either lost or had my precious mp3 player stolen :( It wasn't an expensive one, but it was more the fact that it had all of my round the world songs on that I'd collected from the start, and I now had to do a 22 hour coach journey with no music or any form of entertainment!! :( I think it may have slipped out of my pocket on the minivan and the driver stole it when we got out to go to the toilet but I will never know.
So, we carried on with our 22 hour journey, with nothing but Jemma's mp3, which she rarely ever cracks out, and was given to her by her mum in haste just before we left. It has nothing but songs from musicals on it, which is not my favourite genre of music, but beggars can't be choosers.
When we got near to the Thai – Laos border, we all got herded off, waited outside a wooden shack for a bit and then got herded onto a rickshaw, which took us to the border. We queued at the border, got our passports stamped and then were directed onto a little wooden boat, which crossed a river (the Mekong) and hey presto,we were in Laos. Whilst on the boat, a snake slithered along side us in the water and I was scared it might slither into the boat, but luckily it didn't. 

Snake in the Mekong

At the other side of the river (about 30 metres from the Thai side), we got our visas for Laos from a little office. We paid about £35 for them, which was a bit steep, I thought. Good job we had US dollars because those who only had Thai currency had to pay more. We waited in the boiling heat whilst the whole group got their visas, and then a woman came and directed us up a street, where we were put onto a little bus, that looked like those trains you get at Disney Land. She said she hoped we all had Laos money because there'd only be on stop for food on the way to our destination and they would only accept Laos kip. I was not happy to hear this, as I'd not eaten since breakfast and we hardly had any Laos kip on us, which meant I'd have to go hungry for another 22 hours. The Disney bus dropped us at a bigger 'VIP' bus (a normal coach) and on that we sat for the next 22 hours. It was a very bumpy journey, not too dissimilar from what we had experienced in Bolivia. 

Laos is mainly rainforest
I took my last remaining travel sickness tablet, which really helped because the roads were very windy. We were worried when one girl told us you can't buy sickness tablets in Laos and that we should have stocked up in Thailand. Schoolboy error. After about 5 hours of listening to Billy Elliot and Wicked songs, the battery ran out on Jemma's ipod(hooray!) and we stopped at a cafe for food. (When I say cafe, I mean a hut that sold pringles and sandwiches). Luckily, the accepted Thai Baht, so I gorged on my first Lao tuna baguette and crisps. We paid 30p to go to a squat toilet in an outhouse near the hut, and then we all got back on the bus, ready for the 18 hour journey ahead. I was very happy for the sickness tablets at this stage, as there were locals all around us throwing up into plastic bags (they're not used to riding on buses, and the Laotian roads are windy by anyone's standards). Another advantage of the sickness tablet, was that it more or less knocked me out, so I slept better than I ever have on any overnight bus, despite the uncomfy seats and bumpy roads. I woke up every hour to look at the clock, until finally it was 5.30am and we pulled into our destination; Luang Prabang. We arrived just in time to see the daily procession of monks, walking through the town collecting food off the locals who had gotten up early to offer them. We could tick this sightseeing activity off our list. The bus kicked us out at the bus station, and at first, nobody got off because I don't think anybody clicked that this was Luang Prabang, I for one, had been expecting somewhere a little bigger, seeing as it is Laos' second city, but it just seemed like a town in the middle of nowhere. We were all so sleepy, we stumbled off the coach and into the first tuk tuk that would take us.
Where we got dropped off

No comments:

Post a Comment