Tuesday 26 June 2012

Sapa – Hill Tribes right in the North of Vietnam


Our nice hostel in Hanoi packed us off on our night train to Sapa. When I say packed us off, I mean they literally carried all of our bags, put us in a taxi, got someone to meet us at the train station and then put us on the train! The night train was our first train in Vietnam and it was a lot higher quality than Thailand. Comfy bunk beds and a cabin of four. We shared with two Vietnamese men, one of which had tissue stuffed up his nose. I slept ok, the train was still as shaky as those in Thailand but not as loud but the air con was far too strong and I shivered the whole night. I woke up with a sore throat and running nose, no prizes for guessing who I got it off.

Night train
Our train arrived at 6am and we were met by a minibus that took us along some winding country roads into the mountains of Sapa. The scenery was out of this world. Layers and layers of Rice paddies, greenery, blue skies... it was stunning. I was very tired though. We got to our hotel and they gave us breakfast (egg and bread) and then we checked into our room, had a shower and had about an hour to get ready before our trek. We were both so exhausted! Anyway, we got ready and our guide met us downstairs in the lobby (a little tribal woman with a gold tooth) and then took us out into the town with 4 French boys and 3 Malaysians. As we began walking along the road towards the mountains, a group of hysterical tribal women began following us (we had seen this group earlier when our minibus pulled into the hotel, they were all screaming and running after the minibus). The group consisted of about 20 women, all carrying baskets on their backs, and being naïve and new to the ways of Vietnam, we had no idea why they were following us. 
The women who followed us
Then they started talking to us and asking us questions 'How long you been here? Where you from?' and we got chatting to them. I naively assumed they just wanted to practice their English, but it was a very stupid assumption to make; why would a group of 20 women follow us on a 4 hour trek in the mountains just to speak English? Anyway, the trek went on, and we clambered through and across rice paddies, those ones that are like steps and lead all the way down the mountain. It had been raining earlier and it was extremely muddy and slippery, to the point where EVERYONE in the group fell over at some point. Jemma actually slipped off the edge of one of the rice tiers and jumped into the one below, submerging herself up to her knees in water. She was very lucky she didn't go head first and soak her whole body. 


The rice steps - Jemma slipped & fell from one level to the one below




We were all so muddy, having slipped on our bums so much. I slipped down a steep hill at one point and just gave up and slid down the rest of it on my bum because I couldn't stand back up in the mud. It was kind of fun though. And all the long, the women were there to help us, holding our hands to stop us from falling, catching us when we slipped. How lovely the Vietnamese tribes are we thought! What a great authentic experience we are having, trekking with a tribe in the outer reaches of rural Vietnam. 


Stunning Scenery




And then we came to the cafe in the mountains where we to have lunch and what happened next can only be described as a swarming attack. The women were all over us, in our faces, 4 women to a person, shouting at us for us to buy what was in their baskets. 'Please buy from me, my baby needs food' 'buy me I helped you' 'buy present, buy for my village, I need money'. The 8 of us were sat around these little tables and we had no escape. The tour guide disappeared and our lunch would not come until we had all bought something. I wouldn't mind, because the women had helped us a lot during the walk, but the prices they were asking for were so unreasonable and they wouldn't budge on them at all. We ended up buying two purses that we didn't even like/ want/ need! 
French boys being hassled
Then the food came, and then after that, the tour guide, who we hadn't seen for the whole of the trek, reappeared and announced it was time to move onto the next village, at which point the first tribe of women scurried away, and we were joined by a new 'tribe' of women, dressed slightly differently, in different colours who swarmed around us and each one latched onto a different person. 'Where you from? How long you been here? I from new tribe, different tribe, poorer than that other tribe. How old are you? Do you have brothers or sisters?' We walked through a small village that was scattered with 'home stays'. The French boys were doing a home stay, we weren't, and when we saw the home stays, which were actually just concrete hostels that had been put up in the middle of a village and had nothing homely about them whatsoever, we were glad we weren't staying there. We were especially glad, when we saw a minibus pull up to take us back to the main town of Sapa. We literally had to run into the bus and tell the women 'no we don't have any money left on us!!!' They chased us and I shoved the equivalent of about 40p into their hand and jumped on the bus. They weren't happy, and shouted at us they wanted more, but thankfully the bus drove off, and I was so relieved to get away. The countryside had been so stunning, breathtaking, like nothing I have seen before, and I had been so enchanted in the beginning to be getting an 'authentic Vietnamese experience' but the women just ruined the whole thing completely for me and I would never want to go back.
Village
Just wow
But far too much hassle off the various tribes

We got back to the hotel that afternoon and went straight to sleep. I felt so ill, fluey and my nose wouldn't stop running. It was the worst cold I've ever had in my life. I dragged myself out of bed for dinner, where we had a lovely meal and got chatting to a Chilean and Israeli about politics, but then I had to go to bed early because I felt so rough and couldn't breathe because my nose was so blocked. I had the most sleepless night of the whole trip, literally could not breathe and went through about two toilet rolls from blowing my nose every two seconds. We were supposed to go on a second trek the next day, but I was too ill, and Jemma couldn't be bothered with the women hassling her, so we stayed in the room and I slept whilst she watched films. She went out to get me some medication and I took it and it knocked me out. Then we had dinner, before getting on the night train again, back to Hanoi. I wore extra layers this time, in preparation for the freezing air con, which was a mistake, because the air con in our carriage was broken and I sweated the whole night long. At least I was sweating the cold out though. When we got back to Hanoi at 6am, the guy from our hostel came to collect us, with a brolley to shelter us from the rain, and we checked into our hostel and slept for the whole morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment