Wednesday 22 February 2012

Sydney

First view of the Harbour bridge and Opera house

(...by Jemma)

We took a coach to Sydney, deciding not to stop in Canberra. As we passed through Canberra on the coach we could see we made the right decision! The coach journey itself wasn't actually too bad. The seats aren't as comfortable as South America, but it was only 14 hours, which seemed like nothing after 20+ hour journeys we'd done before. We arrived at around 10pm, and realised we hadn't really planned how to get to the hostel. Luckily it was quite straight forward, and after a short trip on the light railway and after asking a few people we found our hostel. We stayed in Eva's Backpackers in Kings Cross which was a really nice hostel with private lockers and bedside lamps (you really start to appreciate the little things!) We had a lovely nights sleep and woke up all ready to see Sydney. On Saturday we had arranged to meet Jenna's friend from Contiki, Paul, and his friend, so we set off walking into Sydney. We walked through a big park past Wooloomooloo harbour, and as we rounded the corner saw our first view of Sydney harbour bridge (the coat hanger) and the Sydney Opera House. It was one of those 'Wow! I'm actually here!' moments for us both, and I think I took around 30 photos. We continued to walk round to Circular Quay and saw a huge cruise ship in the Quay. There were lots of faux aborigines playing the digoreedoo and posing with the tourists. It reminded me of Cardiff Bay a bit, but more upmarket. We met up with Jenna's friend Paul and went for a walk around The Rocks, which is a very historical part of Sydney.

With Paul and his friend
(continued by Jenna)... Paul was with his friend who lived in Sydney, and together we went for a drink in a cafe to get shelter from a big downpour (something that would be a common occurrence in Sydney during our stay). We walked around most of the city and they showed us the main areas for shopping and China town. We stood for a while and watched chocolate being made and they showed us where all the expensive shops were. We said bye to them in the evening and then headed back to our cosy hostel to get ready to go out. On the way, we stopped and had a cheap curry in Kings Cross. We had a few drinks in the hostel and then went to a few bars in the area surrounding our hostel but it wasn't as good as we had hoped.

The next day we had a lie in and then tried to find a doctors for Jemma's foot because she was in a lot of pain at this point from a bite that had become infected in Fiji. We found the doctors but they told us we would have to obtain a medicare certificate first from an office in town and that this could only be done on a week day (it was a Sunday). So Jemma just had to bare the pain a little longer and we wandered down to Darling harbour for a look around. By now it was mid afternoon and we had wasted most of the day trying to sort out medical stuff. We got to Darling harbour just in time for a massive thunder storm and had to shelter in the cafe next to the Aquarium. I guess we sat there for about 2 hours and didn't see much of Darling harbour in the end. The annoying thing was that I was very scantily clad because when we had set off that morning from the hostel it had been blazing sunshine. This meant that when it rained on us I was absolutely freezing and had no coat or anything to keep me warm. I sensed at this point that I would not thank myself for running about in the rain in shorts and flip flops but I had no choice. After two hours of non-stop rain and sitting bored in the aquarium, we decided we would just have to make a run for it and began the 40 minute walk back to the hostel. Luckily it stopped raining but I think by this point the damage had been done and all I wanted was a hot shower.

The next day we decided to begin the feat of getting Jemma's medical card so she could see a doctor. This was no easy task. We needed photocopies of visas and passports which we had to buy internet credit to print from offline. We also needed to fill in forms and were sent back and fro from various offices, before eventually being told by one lady that due to her heavy work load, we would not receive the medical card until 3 days later as the office had too much work to process so we should come back in three days and Jemma could see a doctor then! Jemma was quite happy to let this lie but by this point, having wasted a whole half a day queuing in lines at the offices, filling in forms, running in an out of internet cafes and printing forms, I wasn't about to be told that I would then have to wait 3 days before the card would be processed. After Jemma walked out the office and told me what the woman had said to her, I calmly marched back in and said that three days wasn't good enough, that the feet were infected and needed urgent attention and would she kindly point me in the direction of somebody who didn't have such a heavy workload and could help me. We were given directions to another office in the middle of a shopping mall and within 30 minutes, the nice lady in the next office had sorted it all and we had the card: All we needed now was to take it to a GP. The whole morning had been such an ordeal, I said to Jemma that I sincerely hoped I wouldn't get ill because I didn't want to have to go through it all again to get me a medical card.
The next day I woke up with tonsillitis and we had to do it all again. As I wrote on my previous blog entry, what then followed, was three days of the most severe pain in my life – lying awake all night in bed sobbing because I couldn't swallow. (Jemma by the way got antibiotics for her foot off the doctor who had a 5 minute policy – if the doctor took over 5 minutes to assess her she would be charged more so he didn't even ask her to take her shoe off – he just said 'I am guessing you have a nasty bite that is infected, I'll prescribe some antibiotics).
Anyway, the next day, I somehow managed to get out of bed, crying with pain and we did the long 40 minute walk into the city centre to get my medical card, with Jemma practically carrying me half the way. Once we had my medical card, we went back to the same doctors (mistake!) and she prescribed me the weakest course of antibiotics ever to be taken once every 24 hours before bed! I was told to gargle salt water and take paracetamol for the pain. Well I wanted something that would kick in straight away, not to have to wait until bed! So I disregarded the instructions and took them straight away. Not that it had any effect whatsoever, in fact the pain increased, as did the lump in my throat. That night I had such a fever Jemma nearly rang an ambulance (temperature of 39 degrees!). In the morning I could barely stand up and hadn't drank or eaten all night because swallowing was far too painful. We went to another doctors near the hostel and were called from the waiting room after half an hour by a lovely doctor who took one look at me and was horrified. He couldn't believe the previous doctor had put me on such a low dose and he immediately upped the dose and gave me some heavy duty painkillers. He also gave me an injection of penicillin to hurry things along. He was very concerned and told us to come back the next day to see how I was doing. He told me to throw the other tablets away and start the new ones (goodbye £20 that I had just paid for that lot of tablets, hello another £20 for the next!).
The only problem was, the antibiotics he gave me could only be taken with food and this was just impossible. Even after the penicillin jab, the pain continued to worsen and I couldn't eat or drink. Nevertheless I managed to bare the pain and slip the tablets down with a sorbet. That night was the worst pain of my entire life – I actually thought I was going to die. I had visions of swimming pools of water that I wanted to jump into; I was so thirsty but couldn't drink because every time I did it felt like I was stabbing myself. I knew at this point that it must be more serious than the usual tonsilitis because usually that goes after a few tablets. I was also sick, probably because of the painkillers, so any antibiotics that I did take simply came back up.
The next morning we went back to the same doctors surgery and I was seen by a new doctor. She couldn't believe how ill I looked and said that I was really dehydrated and that I had all the indicators of needing to go to casualty! So off we went to casualty, which was luckily just across the road in the lovely St Vincents hospital and there I was seen to by a lovely team who admitted me over night and pumped me with fluids for 24 hours to re-hydrate me as well as IV antibiotics. They also gave me some serious painkillers, which did numb the pain, but made me feel really weird and gave me hallucinations. They also made me nauseas so the nurse simply pumped some anti-nausea drugs into my drip. And there I stayed for 24 hours and after 24 hours I could finally swallow again! Jemma was lovely and came to visit me regularly to give me chocolate, update me on facebook happenings and eat my free meals.

After I got out of hospital, we were supposed to be staying with some friends of mine in Newcastle, just north of Sydney, but I was too weak to go. We decided to extend our stay in Sydney by three days to try and get some sightseeing done as we had really not seen much of the city. We bought an open top bus ticket which took us all around the city and to bondi beach. It continued to rain heavily on and off and Jemma told me that the only day it didn't rain was the day I was in hospital. We visited two museums and Jemma went to a Harry Potter exhibition at one of them. We also took a ferry over to Manly where we watched the world surfing championships final. And that's about it! So in the end, not such a great experience of Sydney, but we did see most of the major landmarks and we were lucky to have a really nice hostel to stay in which made all the difference. On our last night in Sydney, we saw an old friend who we had met on the salt flats in Bolivia – Keira. She was one of the Irish girls who we had seen on the salt flats tour, in la Paz and in the Amazon. She is now the 3rd person we have met on 2 continents.

Sydney photos


No comments:

Post a Comment