Monday 20 February 2012

Sydney and the Quinsy

A little note to anyone following this blog, wondering what has happened to me and the Sydney update. Thanks to a peritonsillar abscess (or quinsy), that decided to strike me down and live in my throat for 6 days, we haven't seen quite as much of Sydney as we would have liked. We have however, become very familiar with the doctors surgeries and hospitals of Sydney and are now very well versed on the reciprocal healthcare agreement and its clauses. After 3 days lying in bed in the hostel, with a temperature of 39 degrees, not being able to swallow or sleep and crying with pain, three visits to three different GPs, a shot of penicillin in the bum and a bumper pack of prescription only heavy-duty painkillers that made me hallucinate and vomit, I was admitted to A & E where they took one look at me and put me on a drip and fed me antibiotics intravenously for 24 hours.
I am now happily out of hospital and can swallow once again without feeling like I am gargling on razor blades. We have been on a whistle stop tour of Sydney on an open top bus and have visited a few museums today. Tomorrow we are heading to Byron Bay which is 14 hours drive north of here. I will update the blog soon with info about what we did in Sydney when we weren't inspecting the medical facilities.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jen, lovely to read blog updates and wishing you a speedy recovery lots of love Hayz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    Hope you have not done too much and you are now feeling much better.
    Love,
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete