Tuesday 28 February 2012

The Gold Coast: Three days of theme parks


On the Sunday the weather had cleared up and we bought a pass for unlimited entry to three theme parks. We decided to go to Warner Brothers Movie World first. We spent the day on roller coasters (one of which we queued for an hour and a half for, only to get to the front and be told it had broken down!). At the end of the day we came home and went in the sea (just crossed the road from our flat). The waves were massive and I have never experienced a current like it in my life. It was the most powerful rip ever and kept dragging us out to sea and along the beach. When the life guards packed up for the day and told everyone to get out for their own safety, we got out and had tea and relaxed in the flat.
The next day was wet and wild, the most exhilarating day of the three. There were some really extreme slides and at the beginning I was very nervous about going down them (even more nervous than I had been about doing a bungy jump!). The best one was a big funnel that you got washed down on a tandem rubber ring. The scariest was one where you had to stand on a trap door at the top of a vertical drop and them you were closed in and after a countdown, the doors opened and you were dropped down a vertical slide that did a loop de loop at the end. Whilst in the queue for the slide, we saw signs saying 'in the unlikely event that you do not make it round the loop, remain calm and allow yourself to slide backwards down the loop. Exit from the emergency door once you have come to a complete stop'. We were told by the lifeguard that the chances of not making the loop were extremely low and the only people who didn't make it were usually children who were too light. Everybody had to borrow a surf top to make sure they had no friction and everyone in the queue was nervous as we watched one person after another be shut in the capsule and then dropped into oblivion. There were strict instructions that you had to follow: lie with your head against the slide, cross your arms across your chest and cross your legs. How hard could it be? Nevertheless my heart was racing at the thought of being dropped vertically on the count of three by a machine.
When our turn finally came, Jemma and I walked up to the slides (two slide next to eachother were released each time) and Jemma said that she wanted to go in the green one. I had had it in my head that I would go in the green one but I just got in the yellow one as it was too late to discuss. We were both shut into our capsules and my heart was pounding as the water trickled down my back. Then we heard an automated voice say 3, 2, 1 and we were dropped. Literally dropped through thin air down this slide. It felt like I was falling for about 10 seconds and then I looked down and my legs had uncrossed themselves. I quickly recrossed them but it was too late. I felt myself sliding down backwards and realised that I hadn't made the loop. I had got half way up and didn't have enough speed so slid back down backwards. I waited until I came to a stop, as the sign had said and then found the trapdoor to climb out of. I couldn't believe I of all people hadn't made it! Jemma and Louise both found it really hilarious.


The rest of the day whizzed by with some excellent slides including one called Kamikazee where two of you sit in a ring and then are dropped backwards down a sort of massive half pipe. There were also a couple of three-people slides but for the ones where it was two in a ring, we took it in turns to go down with strangers. By the end of the day we were exhausted from all the laughing and climbing up stairs. It was an absolutely fantastic day, probably one of the best of the whole round the world trip. We got back at night and were exhausted. Jemma kindly cooked us a BBQ and we watched the Oscars on TV.

The final day of the theme park trilogy was Sea World. We went there today and saw lots of sharks, penguins and sting rays. We also watched an amazing dolphin show, a jet ski stunt show and a seal show. After Sea world, we came home, went in the sea, came back to the apartment, went in the pool, hot pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room and then had tacos and chilli con carne for tea. And that's where we are now, sitting letting tea go down. Tomorrow we are heading to Australia zoo, made famous by Steve Irwin the crocodile hunter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment