Friday 2 December 2011

Inca jungle trail – day 3

Back to Jenna writing now. We got up on day 3 of our inca jungle trail with neither of us feeling too good. Jemma had a hangover and I felt sick – not because of alcohol (I hadn't drank), possibly because I took a malaria tablet on an empty stomach. So, it was not the best way to be feeling a few hours before doing South America's longest and highest zipline! We ate breakfast and then we all set off on a minibus to the zipline place which is nestled amongst mountains and gorges with long ziplines that criss cross rivers and dangle you between various mountains. I wasn't feeling particularly nervous, even though it was my first ever zipline, I just felt nauseous from the tablet. We got there and we all got kitted out with helmets, gloves and harnesses. Then they gave us a big speech about safety etc and about how to slow ourselves down (using a rubber glove, pressed down on the cable). They told us that on some of the ziplines it would be possible to go upside down/ take photos. The Spanish speaking people in the group got a bit pissed off at this point because, as had tended to be the case throughout the tour, the guides forgot to repeat the explanations in Spanish. I was in a daydream the whole way through the English explanation, so I was glad to have the instructions repeated in Spanish. I think at this point I was sick in a bush and then I felt a lot better and ready for some adrenaline rushes. To get to the first zipline we had to hike up a massive tropical mountain in all our gear. They told us it would only take 10 mins, but we had learnt by this point that in Inca time, 10 mins actually means 30 mins. Once at the top, after having sweated off all our suncream, we all zipped one by one down a massive wire that spanned across two mountains and dangled us above a dangerous white water river. The first one was scary; I was really scared my clip would come off like in cliff hanger so I made the men check it was secure several times. I was also paranoid about spinning around so sprained my stomach muscles trying to keep myself straight. By the time it got to the 3rd zip however, I was setting the pace for everyone else, and was quite proud of myself when I did, what everyone declared was, the most impressive upside down dangle along the 3rd zip. Basically, you just let go, wrap your legs around the metal bit and hang upside down as you hurtle between mountains. It is one of the most amazing experiences ever! I think I am now ready for my bungee in New Zealand!

We did a total of 5 different ziplines and one bit of rappelling, which was where we had do clip ourselves to a wire and then rock climb up a cliff to get from one zipline to another (that for me was far more scary than any of the actual ziplines. It was one of those 'dont look down' moments). After all the ziplining, we got a bus to the next part of the trail where we had lunch (uncooked chicken which would later lead to problems on Macchu Picchu for some unfortunate members of the group). The weather had been very hot all day and you can't carry all the water you need with you for the whole trail so you have to buy it from little stalls as you go and it gets gradually more expensive. I had to wear trousers for the last part of the trail as I was being eaten alive by mossies. I have NEVER had so many bites in all my life, and they were the kind of bites that bled as soon as you were bitten. Also, I hadn't realised that 100% deet is illegal outisde the UK (not sure why its still legal in the UK?!) and I had been rubbing this poison into my bites to try and ward off the mossies. After lunch, we set off on the final bit of the trail that would lead us to Aguas Calientes (the town of Macchu Picchu) and the walk went by quite quickly as we chatted to Kelly from New York who had lived in Korea for 3 years and told us all about the dogs she had eaten and how in Korea, they have vending machines that sell shirts and ties because the business men never sleep.
We lost half the group at one point because the Swedish realised they had left their Iphone in the cafe at lunch and the guide refused to wait for them whilst they went back to check so we just left them and marched on. At one point it started to rain and we all got our 50p pochos out. Big mistake. You actually get more wet in a poncho than you do in the rain: because of your own sweat. Its like being in a greenhouse! By the time we got to Aguas Calientes, my vest was rotting in sweat! We walked along an old train track and there was mist and mountains and a river next to us with huge rocks that looked so big they seemed fake. It was absolutely beautiful, and very mystical. We arrived in the mystical town of Aguas Calientes (literally translates as hot waters) just as it was turning dark and it was a very beautiful sight to behold. On the one side you had a lovely little cosy, town, twinkling in the darkness, and on the other there was a river, with the back of the Macchu Picchu mountain and clouds of mist all around. For me, it was one of the most amazing moments of the trek.

The mystical Aguas Calientes

More photos here! Jungle trail photos

No comments:

Post a Comment